Pre Purchase / Pre Trip Inspections
Pre Purchase Inspections
Pre purchase inspections can be a very handy thing when purchasing a vehicle that’s either registered or unregistered, buying a registered car with a Road Worthy Certificate doesn’t always mean it’s the right car to buy. Roadworthy certificates only look at the vehicle’s roadworthy compliance ie. Just making sure its safe to be on the roads, but never includes a full inspection of Oils, coolant, filters which are the serviceable requirement of the vehicle. A pre purchase inspection could save you from buying a vehicle which has been neglected or poorly serviced but would pass a road worthy certificate.
Pre-Purchase inspections checklist
- Check of all oils, drivetrain oils, coolants
- Check of all filters ie. Air filter, cabin filters, fuel filters
- Previous service history if stated in the logbook
- Overall safety check
- Suspension checks
- Steering checks
- Doors & Windows
- Door handles and lock
- Tyre check
- Brake check
- Brake report if necessary
- Wiper blades & washer motors/washer nozzles
- Driveline check inc. tail shaft, universal joints & centre bearings
Pre Trip Inspections
Just Autos can carry out a comprehensive pre trip inspection to reduce any issues occurring that can involve costly repairs when being carried out in remote areas, or even the cost of getting a tow truck back to the local mechanic. With a full bumper to bumper to bumper check carried out and some helpful advice on repairs that should be carried out prior to your trip and or even a recommendation to bring possible spares to reduce damage occurring.
A full pre trip inspection will include the following inspections
General vehicle safety
- Check seat belts & latches, Door catches & window operation. Check child restraint anchors if used. Check placement of fire extinguisher if fitted & first aid kit.
Under the hood
- Check all fluid levels (engine oil, coolant, brake, clutch, power steering, water for washers etc.), belt tension and condition, starter battery (and auxiliary batteries if applicable) mount and terminals.
- Check spotlights, roof rack, aerials, bull bar mounts and other accessories for mounting tightness and cable security. Check any cargo stored in vehicle or fuel is secured down.
- Look for excess dust, filter condition and clean and or replace filters as necessary. Check airbox seal is intact and closes correctly and all airbox latches and mounting point. Check all intercooler piping for damage & hose clamps. Do a visual check of primary and secondary fuel filters, if secondary fuel filter isn’t fitted, recommend getting fitted pre trip.
- Check under vehicle for overnight oil and fluid leaks. General check under body for damaged or loose components. Remove any obstructions such as sticks, grass, excessive mud or otherwise, check radiator core for obstructions or leaks
- Check shocks for damage or leaks, condition of bushes, springs and spring mounts for damage or cracks.
Rear axles & diff assembly
- Visual check of diff and rear axle on left and right-hand sides for cracks and oil leaks.
- Check windshield and all windows and exterior light lenses, both in terms of cleanliness and visibility. Check windshield wipers and washers are operational.
- Ensure all lights are operational: headlights, stoplights, taillights, turn signals, hazard lights, clearance, and reverse lights, fog lights and light bars/spotlights
- Confirm function of any additional gear such as instrument panels, warning lights, gauges, low coolant alarms, rear vision cameras and other accessories (please notify staff of in car systems that require checks)
- Ensure all items in the cab are safe and secured, including overhead consoles and back seats.
Tyres and wheels
- Check tyre pressures. Examine tyre side walls and treads for damage or unusual wear, check for possible punctures
- Check that hub are disengage or engage.
- Check that service and parking brakes are operational.
Final visual inspection
- Full walk-around before moving – check the bonnet, any doors or openings for security, fuel caps and other mounted accessories one last time.